only 1 network card is supported. you should employees a firewall in front
and since you only have a single small connection you should also enact
adequate traffic shaping on your firewall to ensure voice traffic gets
priority.
On May 11, 2011 6:44 PM, "Carl Farrington" <c...@css-networks.com> wrote:
> Can somebody give me some recommendations on NIC configuration on a small
(15 user) deployment with a dedicated DSL line for the ITSP trunk? My
background is really in Asterisk & FreePBX, and I have to date configured
those systems with a dedicated WAN NIC, and either a separate LAN for the
handsets, or sharing the same LAN as the PCs, with the necessary boot
parameters added to Windows' DHCP server.

> With the users having a nice sipX web portal, the PCs will need some kind
of connectivity to the sipX box.

> I can see various different ways of doing it, but I don't want to head
down one method, only to come across a problem later on. Should I have the
entire VoIP system on a separate network, and connect the spare NIC from the
sipX box onto the Windows LAN just to allow users access to the web portal?
If I do this, then I would have to share a single NIC with the handsets and
the WAN connection to the ITSP. Or should I be looking to have the phones on
the same IP & physical network as the computers, and the second NIC as a
dedicated WAN connection to the ITSP (as I do with Asterisk)? I think I'm
mostly confused because of all the different network ports and SIP services
being run by the system, and also the notion that the handsets may be
invited to communicate directly with the ITSP.

> Simple question: do the handsets need an IP route to the ITSP, or can all
the traffic go through the sipX box?

> Anybody using single-NIC sipX boxes?
>
> Also, unrelated, are there recommendations for numbering schemes? I can
see the default for extensions is 2xx, but what about rings groups? If I opt
to use 3xx, I may find that this conflicts with some other feature somewhere
along the way.