I had a somewhat similar problem, which also showed up as odd pauses in the
voicemail prompts, intermittent missed calls, and weird delays in the web
interface.  Turned out one of the disk drives in my Linux-mirrored pair had
extended write delays (but not failures).

The only way I detected it was by looking at the queues in ptop and seeing one
write queue much longer than the other, despite them being mirrored.  Replaced
both drives, reinstalled and it works great now.

I doubt this is your problem, but I thought it makes a good story...

Jeff