Mike, we seem to be running in circles in this discussion that doesn't end.
Just to be clear - If you set up an IPsec tunnel between these two
locations, and attached Polycom phones to the remote network, they will
register onto your sipXecs server as if they were sitting physically in the
same building as the sipXecs.

As Tony has stated previously, you can also use other types of tunnels for
this, your choice.   The idea is to extend the sipXecs network into the
other building so it appears as one network if that meets your design
requirements.

However, should you lose your internet connection, you will have phones that
are an island.  You should put something at that site to provide at least
911 coverage - like a gateway with a couple of FXO ports you can dial out
with.  Audiocodes has the ability to do this, as I'm sure others do too.

Additionally, you could put another sipXecs box there that operates as
another node on your network, or as a separate system with system to system
networking between them.

Yes, it would be cool if pfsense could run on a Linksys box, try it on one
of your 100 boxes, I'm sure the PFsense board can help on that.