ipsec is a vpn tunnel type. you could also do l2tp or openvpn with pfsense.
in your case you need a tunnel type ans ipsec take 2 minutes to setup with
pfsense at both sides.

what you do with it is totally up to you.
On Sep 14, 2011 4:29 PM, "m...@grounded.net" <m...@grounded.net> wrote:
> I don't recall seeing IPSEC mentioned but it's an idea.
>
>> vpn and host use the other end. we do that all the time. it doesnt
>> matter if you are trying to use the gateway, or sipx. it's the same
>> "network" as private, but routed.
>
> I love it. I'll have to set up a test and give it a try.
>
>> with an ipsec connection your two networks can't overlap. you'll also
>> want to create a route at each end to the network it already has, so
>> dns lookups from the remote phones can resolve through the sipx host.
>> it also means tftp will work for phone provisioning if you configure
>> the tftp server in the remote firewall dhcp settings. it's all very
>> slick and works well.
>
> This was something that was kinda confusing when I first started using
sipx. The packets were going back to the main router until I realized I
needed to tell sipx to use the pfsense box as it's gateway.