I don't recall seeing IPSEC mentioned but it's an idea.

> vpn and host use the other end. we do that all the time. it doesnt
> matter if you are trying to use the gateway, or sipx. it's the same
> "network" as private, but routed.

I love it. I'll have to set up a test and give it a try.

> with an ipsec connection your two networks can't overlap. you'll also
> want to create a route at each end to the network it already has, so
> dns lookups from the remote phones can resolve through the sipx host.
> it also means tftp will work for phone provisioning if you configure
> the tftp server in the remote firewall dhcp settings. it's all very
> slick and works well.

This was something that was kinda confusing when I first started using sipx.
The packets were going back to the main router until I realized I needed to
tell sipx to use the pfsense box as it's gateway.

I think all of the phones are polycom 550's but not absolutely sure.