yes, some developer devised a rather involved scheme of shell scripts
that attempted to migrate config files on rpm install.  Ultimately a
difficult system to maintain.  Going forward, If you (the admin) make
edits to config files outside the UI, you are responsible for them
(obviously) but backup and restore will take of everything else.  If
ever there is a migration of anything else (rare, but I'm sure exists.
 Symlink to language prompts comes to mind) system will detect and
gracefully convert whenever system starts up. Cfengine can aptly
handle that.

I can't guarantee every setting will migrate perfectly from all
versions, or that there won't be bugs in the process, but it should be
reasonable processes for sure.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Tony Graziano
<tgrazi...@myitdepartment.net> wrote:
> I think he wants to be able to run 4.4 on Centos6 now so he in-place
> yum to sipx 4.6 as a simple process. I DO think that the process needs
> to be tested (4.4 restoring to 4.6 base install) and make sure all
> functions and parameters come over. Several times (way back machine in
> use here) I found you could not restore older versions of sipx to
> newer builds, and it almost always had to do with DB schema stuff. I
> will certainly be testing to make sure all of the proper parameters
> come over.
>
> I for one would rather start over with a fresh ISO/OS and not try to
> be the red headed step child and try to run 4.4 on centos 6, since
> it's so out of the ordinary. That's my opinion anyway. It should be
> relatively easy to restore on 4.6 and see if everything starts, that
> all files, etc. are there. Realize there may be an issue with CDR
> records since they don't currently backup and restore so you may want
> to consider a different machine for 4.4 and mothball it if you need to
> keep cdr available, or look into a separate backup/restore for that
> db/table.
>
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 6:21 AM,  <pscheep...@epo.org> wrote:
>> I thought it was more a question what would be the easiest (as in least
>> effort) way to move from CUCM to SipX 4.4 and then to 4.6.
>> I thought Jesse wanted to run 4.4 on CentOS6 just to have an easier upgrade
>> path.
>> But if he runs 4.4 on CentOS6 he's all alone, if he runs 4.4 on CentOS5 he's
>> part of a big group.
>>
>> Not sure what his arguments for running 4.4 on 6 are though.
>>
>> Douglas Hubler <dhub...@ezuce.com> wrote on 09-02-2012 12:00:44:

>>> the theory i guess was that you're changing 2 variables at the same
>>> time (CentOS 5 -> 6 and sipXecs 4.4 -> 4.6.) and if there's a problem
>>> you cannot be sure where it is.  right?

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Tony Graziano, Manager
> Telephone: 434.984.8430
> sip: tgrazi...@voice.myitdepartment.net
> Fax: 434.465.6833
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> LAN/Telephony/Security and Control Systems Helpdesk:
> Telephone: 434.984.8426
> sip: helpd...@voice.myitdepartment.net
>
> Helpdesk Customers: http://myhelp.myitdepartment.net
> Blog: http://blog.myitdepartment.net
>
> Linked-In Profile:
> http://www.linkedin.com/pub/tony-graziano/14/4a6/7a4
> Ask about our Internet Fax services!
>
> --
> LAN/Telephony/Security and Control Systems Helpdesk:
> Telephone: 434.984.8426
> sip: helpd...@voice.myitdepartment.net
>
> Helpdesk Customers: http://myhelp.myitdepartment.net
> Blog: http://blog.myitdepartment.net

Join me to talk about sipXecs and the upcoming version 4.6 at
  CoLab @ CSU  March (5th & 6th).
     http://www.sipfoundry.org/sipx-colab
Hack with me on at the CoLab Hackfest.
  http://wiki.sipfoundry.org/display/sipXecs/2012+sipX-CoLab+Hackfest