On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Tim Ingalls <t...@sharedcom.net> wrote:
> Hi Everyone. I promise I am not trying to be a troll. I have some serious
> questions that I hope I can ask honestly and get some honest feedback about
> using the free version of sipXecs as a commercial product.

Tim, it's at the end of my day and so I'm not going to be able to give
this the response it deserves but in short, I believe you raised a lot
of great points.  Yes, sipxecs 4.4 and the previous versions are a
mixed bag of success if you happen to catch a break on the features
you need working.  I'll go thru this email tomorrow a point out where
the new upcoming release 4.6 either addresses these points or why 4.6
will allow us address these in very short order.

> [...]
> research tasks to find the call in question, convert the time to UTC, grep
> for the time stamp in a big list of calls, then create a merged XML file,
> then load it into SIPViewer, and then find what you are looking for. The
> process takes at least 5 minutes if you are an expert.
>
> Those are just a few examples. I'm always wondering what is going to go
> wrong next. It drives me (and my wife and kids) crazy. I never had this many
> problems with Trixbox. I'm not saying that sipXecs doesn't have its good
> points. I'm just saying that over the last year+ since I started using 4.2
> and then 4.4, it has been anything but reliable. Reliability is the number
> one need for commercial clients.
>
> Yes, I'll admit that it could all be my fault. It probably is. But there are
> so many options, so many opinions, so many sources of information, (there
> are even so many places to set port numbers for various things) that it
> seems you have to do only sipXecs development for a living to be able to
> deploy it correctly. It is far from simple. And that complexity is part of
> the problem.
>
> I know that some of you have deployed many of these systems in a commercial
> setting, so I have to ask you, how do you do it? I'm too afraid that if I
> deploy sipXecs in an actual customer's location that they'll hate me within
> a few months and ask for their money back. How do you set everything up
> (selection of ITSP, etc.) so that the system is rock-solid reliable? Can we
> collect some rock-solid fool-proof (as much as possible) recipes that are
> known to work reliably every time? This seems to be something that should be
> placed on the wiki. I know that there are 100+ ways to configure the system
> (SIP trunking gateway configs, various hardware, ITSP settings, dial rules,
> etc.). I'm looking for just the recipes that make the system reliable. I
> also know that there are various conflicting opinions on this forum about
> what works and what doesn't. I'm looking for PROVEN opinions.
>
> This is my final shot before I give up on the platform. I'd even be willing
> to partner with someone who has a near-flawless system implemented and pay
> you to do the technical part if you can prove your solution is stable. Until
> I find the answer to this problem, I can't use sipXecs as the cornerstone of
> my business plan and will have to move on. If I can solve this issue, I'd be
> willing to pay for further development out of my profits.
>
> I know someone will suggest that I should just sell Ezuce's commercial
> products. Based on what I've experienced so far, I don't think I'd feel
> confident in relying on Ezuce to be the partner in question. If the
> open-source version has these problems, what's to say that the commercial
> version is any better?
>
> Does anyone else experience the same reliability issues?
>
> Also, is anyone willing to have a phone conversation about this and impart
> some wisdom or have a partnership conversation?

Join me to talk about sipXecs and the upcoming version 4.6 at
  CoLab @ CSU  March (5th & 6th).
     http://www.sipfoundry.org/sipx-colab
Hack with me on at the CoLab Hackfest.
  http://wiki.sipfoundry.org/display/sipXecs/2012+sipX-CoLab+Hackfest