Thanks,

Tim Ingalls
Shared Communications, Inc.
801-618-2102 Office

On 02/18/2012 12:03 AM, Tony Graziano wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Tim Ingalls<t...@sharedcom.net>  wrote:
>> I appreciate your feedback. You're right. Being specific is helpful.
>> However, I was trying to not be totally specific, because I'm bringing up a
>> few main general points:
>>
>> 1. Learning and deploying sipXecs correctly is very complex. The learning
>> curve is very steep compared to some other open-source projects, including
>> Trixbox. Part of the complexity is the way the user interface is laid out
>> (multiple places to configure similar things, etc.), part of it is due to
>> bugs and incompatibility w/ specific ITSPs, and part of it is due to the
>> technology itself. What I liked about Trixbox is that it pretty much just
>> worked w/ most of the ITSPs without a bunch of headaches. So although the
>> user interface (FreePBX) isn't as nice as sipXecs, you don't have to worry
>> about tweaking the internals as much since it usually just works.
>>
>> I am trying to sell SIP trunking to small businesses who want to save money
>> on their monthly bills. I'm not necessarily planning to resell SIP trunking
>> at the beginning. I'm more the marketing type and am looking for someone who
>> is great with the technical stuff, but I'm starting off by myself, so I'm
>> looking for a system that can be deployed with only a medium amount of
>> experience with interop w/ ITSPs.
>>
>> 2. The book is great, but it doesn't cover everything. For example, it
>> doesn't tell you that if you are connecting to Voip.ms that you have to
>> choose the same server to register to as you have set in the DID's POP
>> setting in the Voip.ms portal. You can't register using the same DID to one
>> sub-account at one server and another sub-account at another server so that
>> you have server redundancy. You also cannot register two sub-accounts to the
>> same server or you start seeing registration rejections and one-way audio on
>> outbound calls. It also doesn't tell you that Voip.ms has a secret NAT
>> keepalive setting they can set both on your main account AND on the
>> sub-accounts, and that it can stop the problem of getting registration and
>> call rejections for outbound calls.
> Heck there is a wiki page for voip.ms with a how-to for sipxecs. Did
> you look at that?
Yes I did. This issue is not covered there.
> [...]
>> deploy Avaya, Nortel, Alcatel, etc., there are similar programs. You learn
>> the stuff, and then you know what to do. With sipXecs, the knowledge about
>> how everything works is very diffuse. Even if I hire techs to do my
>> installs, I imagine they would be struggling to learn how to deploy the
>> system. The lack of documentation prevents a wide reach for the project.
>>
>> 3. I'm suggesting that we need some simplified recipes for deploying a
>> fool-proof system. I'd like to cite the Drupal installation profiles as an
>> example. Drupal is complicated. It has lots of documentation spread across
>> several books, tons of articles on the Drupal site, and lots of third-party
>> Web sites with info on it. But they also have installation profiles you can
>> just install and everything works. Want an e-commerce site with PayPal as
>> the back-end? There's an installation profile for it. An installation
>> profile contains all of the optional modules you'll need without having to
>> download and configure each one.
>>
>> We could do that for sipXecs. It would make it more accessible. I think if
>> you study the rise of Asterisk and Trixbox, one of the keys for spreading
>> their popularity was that they are accessible to moderately technical
>> do-it-yourself types like myself. If the sipXecs project wants to get more
>> traction, its proponents should pay more attention to making it easier to
>> adopt.
>>
>> 4. You and others have suggested adding knowledge to the wiki. The problem I
>> face in doing that is that I don't feel like I am an expert enough to
>> definitively state how to do very many things that aren't already on the
>> wiki. I don't want to give out bad information, especially since it seems
>> that just when I think I have figured out sipXecs, something else breaks. I
>> don't feel qualified to put much into the wiki.
>>
>> I've seen you give out some great information. But it gets buried under a
>> pile of other posts in this mailing list.
>>
>> ===========================
>>
>> By the way, here is my setup:
>>
>> 1 Polycom IP 670
>> 1 Polycom IP 450
>> 1 Grandstream HT386 ATA
>> 1 Sipura SPA-2002
>>
>> ISP was Qwest for DSL and Xmission for the ISP service. I used to have 5
>> static IPs. My ISP is now Comcast 20Mbps residential service. Comcast
>> doesn't sell static IPs for residential customers.
>>
>> 1 Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato Firmware. I used to use the QOS
>> prioritization feature w/ Qwest, but don't use it any more since I have way
>> more bandwidth than I can use and I don't have any troubles with QOS issues.
>> The firewall currently has TCP/UDP ports 5060 and 5080 forwarded to
>> symmetrical ports on my sipXecs server. No ports are forwarded for the RTP
>> stream. When I connect to both Vitelity and Voip.ms, the SIP port is
>> verified as registered to 5080.
>>
> I have never seen that Tomato supports the proper outbound NAT to
> function with sipxbridge like it should.

That is good info. Thanks. I'll try it with pfsense and see how stable
it is.
>> I also temporarily deployed pfSense on a mini computer (AMD PIC) to see if
>> some of my issues were from my firewall setup, but there was no change, so I
>> switched back to the Linksys router.
>>
> Then I would suggest if you still had one way audio problems your NAT
> entries were setup before the outbound NAT (Manual AON) and the NAT
> entries need to be configured for static port AFTER this is done.

It's been a while since I did that, so I don't quite remember how it all
works. I'll go back in and try to see what you're saying. I'll try to
attach a screenshot of my settings.