In your case I would test coverage with "any" app, besides counterpath, you
can try the free 3cx (Android and iOS) app and others. The biggest thing
you will find with wifi -- battery life/talktime (especially when received
wifi signals are weak), don't hold up nearly as long as DECT. So your wifi
deployment, coverage has a lot to do with battery life and talktime.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Andrew Radke <andrew.ra...@yuruga.com.au>wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> We are looking at outdoor coverage but with a lot of trees and vegetation.
>
> Considering your response it shows that things have changed in recent
> years too…
>
> We do also have large wifi coverage already and are constantly increasing
> it. In the past it seemed that wifi was considered universally terrible.
> Has that changed?
>
> And are there any good smartphone apps? I guess it would be Android rather
> than iPhone since it is possible to get reasonable Android handsets cheaply
> on prepaid plans and then don't use the cellular side at all. But for those
> of us with existing iPhones is there any recommended apps?
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew Radke
> Yuruga Nursery Pty Ltd
> Clonal Solutions Australia Pty Ltd
> PO Box 220
> Walkamin Qld 4872
> Phone: (07) 4093 3826
> Fax: (07) 4093 3869
> Email: andrew.ra...@yuruga.com.au
> Web: www.yuruga.com.au
>
> On 17/04/2012, at 8:04 PM, Tony Graziano wrote:
>
> You need to explain what kind of coverage you need and what kind of
> wireless infrastructure you have (if any).
>
> Snom makes a dect phone which also has wireless repeaters and should work
> fine. The battery life and talk time is very good and does not interfere
> with wifi at all.
>
> If you have a wifi infrastructure you could opt for an app on a smartphone.
> On Apr 17, 2012 12:56 AM, "Andrew Radke" <andrew.ra...@yuruga.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just a query to see what the current thoughts are on cordless phones.
>>
>> We probably need 2-3 phones fairly soon that can transfer calls. It would
>> be nice (but not immediately required) to have the phones capable of
>> switching between multiple base stations due to the physical area to be
>> covered. Of course this adds a lot to the price so may be judged to be
>> uneconomical.
>>
>> I know this has been asked before but a lot can change with VoIP phones.
>>
>>  Andrew Radke
>> Yuruga Nursery Pty Ltd
>> Clonal Solutions Australia Pty Ltd
>> PO Box 220
>> Walkamin Qld 4872
>> Phone: (07) 4093 3826
>> Fax: (07) 4093 3869
>> Email: andrew.ra...@yuruga.com.au
>> Web: www.yuruga.com.au

> LAN/Telephony/Security and Control Systems Helpdesk:
> Telephone: 434.984.8426
> sip: helpdesk@voice.myitdepartment.**net<helpd...@voice.myitdepartment.net>
>
> Helpdesk Customers:
> http://myhelp.myitdepartment.**net<http://myhelp.myitdepartment.net/>