On 5/24/2012 9:10 AM, Douglas Hubler wrote:
> DNS, IP tables, NTP and DHCP are among the few services that some
> folks configure separately on sipxecs 4.4 or older systems.  Starting
> with the 4.6 release these services are integrated in a much tighter
> way.  In order not to conflict with any custom configuration methods,
> these select services now have a "Unmanaged" setting you can set which
> allows you to configure the services yourselves.  George and I
> realized that for each service, an unmanaged state can have different
> consequences depending on what the service does or how it's
> configured.
>
> So in short, there is no common specification for how unmanaged
> services are dealt with, so George and I urge you to test out 4.6 and
> see if you can still configure the systems as you once did.  Don't
> worry, there will *always* be a way to hack want you want together in
> 4.6 because all the rules are now in editable text files, but the goal
> is to lower the level of hacking you would have to do to make system
> easier to setup out of the box and easier to maintain thru a system's
> major and minor upgrades.
I think you can get as crazy as you want with this.  I believe the
ultimate in interfaces for managing the services on the server is
webmin.  It is very rare that you cannot do anything you want within webmin.

I have to admit that a lot of "newbies" to sipx have trouble setting up
the DNS.  We get a lot of people with phone backgrounds coming to sipx
when a "network/server" background would be the best.   UC device dns
settings come from the dhcp server on the network or can be static.  You
just cannot take over being the DHCP server without going in and
shutting it off on whatever else is on the network.  I can see a lot of
people bringing down their network without knowing what they are doing.
I think the current 4.4 way is the correct way of doing it.  The page
that goes out and looks at the current settings on the network is good.
   If you don't know how to change your current DNS or DHCP server then
you should get assistance from somebody that does before installing a
phone server.  It is only going to get harder when their firewall is not
working either.  I think we have to be careful on who we are targeting
on the "install" phase.

There is no harm in the server being configure to be a DNS and ntp
server for the UC devices.  But that can be misleading as those settings
can be superseded by the "real" DHCP server on the network.

Don't forget all the option settings in dhcp like:
sip-servers-name
boot-server
"Dynamic DNS reverse domain" and "Dynamic DNS domain name" could also
come into play for both DNS and dhcp.

--
Regards