On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Gerald Drouillard
<gerryl...@drouillard.ca> wrote:
> I think you can get as crazy as you want with this.  I believe the
> ultimate in interfaces for managing the services on the server is
> webmin.  It is very rare that you cannot do anything you want within webmin.

then we should make sure webmin works.  Did you typically install
webmin on sipxecs systems before or just thinking ahead?

> You
> just cannot take over being the DHCP server without going in and
> shutting it off on whatever else is on the network.  I can see a lot of
> people bringing down their network without knowing what they are doing.
> I think the current 4.4 way is the correct way of doing it.

y, dhcpd is off by default

> The page
> that goes out and looks at the current settings on the network is good.
>   If you don't know how to change your current DNS or DHCP server then
> you should get assistance from somebody that does before installing a
> phone server.  It is only going to get harder when their firewall is not
> working either.

> I think we have to be careful on who we are targeting
> on the "install" phase.

install is trivial now.  it's about what you enable.  so far it's been
a much better experience.  you can ramp up services once you get a
certain level of the install.  it's better than have acd stats service
failing after install when you don't even plan to run a call center.

> There is no harm in the server being configure to be a DNS and ntp
> server for the UC devices.  But that can be misleading as those settings
> can be superseded by the "real" DHCP server on the network.

The DNS doesn't have to be the same that your entire company uses.  I
cannot find a good reason not to run the DNS.

> Don't forget all the option settings in dhcp like:
> sip-servers-name
> boot-server
> "Dynamic DNS reverse domain" and "Dynamic DNS domain name" could also
> come into play for both DNS and dhcp.

everything is available via a template to we're definitely looking for
feedback for some real world systems