I noticed lately that some changes were done in this area - AFAIU passwords
will be empty by default but when creating an user from  admin portal a
button to generate random pass is available. While this address some of the
issues raised by Todd I don't feel like the right way to implement it.
That's because an admin wanting to have a policy of random generated
passwords for the entire system needs to manually click the button for each
user and that could be annoying. IMO we should have this option as a global
setting (drop down with options like empty pass, random generated) and this
to be automatically applied for all users that are created. More, this
would allow leveraging the default password policy for all mechanisms that
creates sipXecs users - SOAP API, users imported from ldap, etc.

George