On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:51 PM, George Niculae <geo...@ezuce.com> wrote:

> I noticed lately that some changes were done in this area - AFAIU
> passwords will be empty by default but when creating an user from  admin
> portal a button to generate random pass is available. While this address
> some of the issues raised by Todd I don't feel like the right way to
> implement it. That's because an admin wanting to have a policy of random
> generated passwords for the entire system needs to manually click the
> button for each user and that could be annoying. IMO we should have this
> option as a global setting (drop down with options like empty pass, random
> generated) and this to be automatically applied for all users that are
> created. More, this would allow leveraging the default password policy for
> all mechanisms that creates sipXecs users - SOAP API, users imported from
> ldap, etc.

Correct, right now the default is empty password, which solves the initial
problem where the admin couldn't know what passwords were generated, and in
addition the admin has the option to quickly generate a password (random or
with a default value) Your suggestion to add a global setting that defines
a different default policy (random generate, generate a default) looks to
me as a very good and useful improvement. As you suggest, for example for
openUc, the admin would just save a random generate policy, and would never
need to click the generate button.
IMO worth creating a jira with this suggested improvement - feel free to
fill one...
Thanks,
Mircea