From: Henri Yandell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:09 PM
To: Slide Developers Mailing List
Subject: Re: TLP... :)

Effectively you're saying "we're too inactive to be a TLP". Which is what a lot of us are saying, and makes sense. As the more active subprojects have gone TLP so Jakarta has evolved this way.

There's an unspoken assumption that it's better to have low activity as a Jakarta subproject than it is as a TLP, the Jakarta community as a whole helps make up for things. This is where we're now wrong I think, the Jakarta community is increasingly a disjoint set of subgroups, which again makes sense as the active subprojects contained a lot of the crossover activity. As we're increasingly disjoint, we're not able to make up for things and the idea of being in Jakarta actually becomes a disadvantage not an advantage because things are more hidden.

An obvious solution is to create more of a Jakarta community, which I think Commons can provide, but Slide (and some others) don't fit with this.

So I think TLP for Slide makes sense. Activity is an important question to get somewhat solved on the way, someone needs to be the chair (which isn't a huge job for a tight and focused TLP), but other than that Slide could be doing much the same it is doing now as a TLP and the increased visibility might help get more interest.

SVN restructuring is definitely perpendicular to a TLP move, unless you think you'll be creating a subcomponent that doesn't make sense in a Slide TLP and ought to go elsewhere. Even then it's not a biggy, we can take care of it later.

Hen