From: Remy Maucherat [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 10:38 AM
To: Slide Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Slide status (was: newbie question about slide future)

Pill, Juergen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I regret, if you are unhappy with the current Slide situation. Slide
> consists of many pieces (e.g. WebDAV client API, server, cm API, GUI and
> command line clients, etc). Some of those are actively worked on; some of
> those are currently under lower development.
>
> 1) Release of next slide version
> There was a call last year to release slide version 2. At this point in
time
> most responding people felt, that it would be too early to release. There
> were some areas still under heavy construction. We could issue this
release
> call again.

This seems appropriate to me, although I can't help :-(

> 2) WebDAV client API
> The WebDAV client API contains basic support of Delta-V, but higher level
> methods are not implemented. This is due to the fact, that JSR 147 is
> arising, which will be THE standard interface for a Delta-V enabled
client.
> Currently this JSR 147 implementation is under construction. We will make
it
> publicly available in Slide, when major parts can be used. Anyway
pre-views
> could be found in Slide soon.

Very nice.

> 3) WebDAV command line client
> Currently this part is not completely Delta-V aware. I personally would
> suggest to use the JSR 147 API, when available.

Yes, maintaining two clients is not possible.

> 4) CM API
> Remy just lately announced to support the JSR 170 support at the Slide CM
> API level. The JSR 170 will be the basis for further extensions. I have
seen
> some JSR 170 related check-ins already.

This is a proposal at this point ;-)
Stefan will work on it, and hopefully attract more people to it.

> 5) Documentation
> This is a major (missing) point too. It was mentioned as a release
blocking
> issue at last years next version call.

There needs to be requirements set, and a todo list. And people who want
more docs should be helping big time also. Otherwise, their opinion is
not relevant.

> We will accept very happily any help, you did offer in your e-mails.
> Especially documentation was mentioned more than once. We could make Slide
> this good, that even newbies get an easy and comfortable jump to the very
> powerful Slide functionality. You are part of the Slide community (if you
> feel so) and with you together we make the open-source project working.
>
> If you wish to get a ready-to-use product (integrated stores,
installation,
> with guarantied support, and lots more) I would recommend following link:
> http://developer.softwareag.com/tamino/webdav/default.htm
> (Sorry, I could not resist)

Lol, fair enough.

> P.S. I know all committers are extremely busy and hard working (not only
for
> Slide).

Unfortunately :-(

Remy