Hello Daniel,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Please find my comments inline.

If the performance impact occurs inside the Slide Kernel, then how would it
be different when accessed via a Web-Client as opposed to a Desktop-Client?
The only difference is: in case of a Web-Client I would use some JSP/XSP and
in case of a Desktop-Client I would use some Web-Service.  With both the
JSP/XSP and Web-Services internally using the Slide Client LIB to access
Slide's WebDAV Service.

In your example above, when you say "retrieving data from Slide", do you
imply retrieving actual Content or retrieving any information: MetaData or
Content?
E.G. 1. if the client(Web/Desktop) wants to view all the sub-folders inside
a folder, a Slide WebDAV <ls> command would be issued and the results would
be wrapped in respective format and returned to the client.
E.G. 2. if the client(Web/Desktop) wants to download all the files in a
folder, a recursive Slide WebDAV <Get> command would be issued and the
results would be wrapped in respective format and returned to the client.
Will there be performance impact in both cases or only case 2 (large
information download)?

Sorry for going into so much details... But I really did not understand the
difference between a Web-Client and a Desktop-Client. The security and lock
checks would be required in both cases. And most likely both cases would be
communicating with server over http.

> >When you mention "background-building of webpages"... are
> you referring to
> >the fact that Slide communicates over the WebDAV(HTTP
> extension) protocol
> >and by that fact it would be required to return a webpage in
> response to any
> >request?
> >If yes, would that mean that the performance impact is due to the
> >communication layer between a WebApp and Slide? In other words, the
> >performance impact can be attributed to using Slide's Client
> APIs inside our
> >WebApp. And that could be avoided if we access Slide APIs
> directly from
> >inside our WebApp. Is this interpretation correct?
> >

> No, the api makes no big difference. You should use the webdav lib or
> wvcm to access slide, otherwise your app is bound to the same vm.

When using the Client LIB, wouldn't there be a big performance difference
due to the additional HTTP communication layer introduced(I am referring to
using Client LIB from inside a JSP or Web-Service on the Server side)?
(Having the Slide APIs run in the same VM is acceptable).
However I think not having a clean separation between the WebDAV and the
Slide API layer would mandate the use of the Client or WVCM libraries.