Daniel thanks really for all your feedback.
Just one last question:

If I decide to use the Slide APIs directly and turn off Slide's Security
Checks using SlideTokenWrapper

                SlideToken token = new SlideTokenImpl(credentials);
                token.setEnforceLockTokens(true);
                SlideToken tokenWrapper = new SlideTokenWrapper(token,true);
                tokenWrapper.setForceSecurity(false);

And provide my own LockStore, since I will be maintaining user list in my
own Schema. Will this configuration significantly reduce the performance
bottleneck? Basically, is security check the main performance impairer?

Regards and Thanks,
Ritu