Thanks for the pointer... :-( these people describe
the exact same problem as me, but they don't seem have
a solution. Yes I read the xp directions. I will try
to contact these people. I'm using XP Pro, not Home
Ed. It's confusing indeed that these fundamental
problems show up so seldom.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.slide.user/3629

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.slide.user/3632