Hi there!

I had the similar problem and solved it by turning off the authentication
for the OPTIONS method in Slide's deployment descriptor:

    <security-constraint>
        <web-resource-collection>
            <web-resource-name>DAV resource</web-resource-name>
            <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
            <http-method>COPY</http-method>
            <http-method>DELETE</http-method>
            <http-method>GET</http-method>
            <http-method>HEAD</http-method>
            <http-method>LOCK</http-method>
            <http-method>MKCOL</http-method>
            <http-method>MOVE</http-method>

            <!--http-method>OPTIONS</http-method-->

            <http-method>POST</http-method>
            <http-method>PROPFIND</http-method>
            <http-method>PROPPATCH</http-method>
            <http-method>PUT</http-method>
            <http-method>UNLOCK</http-method>
            <http-method>VERSION-CONTROL</http-method>
            <http-method>REPORT</http-method>
            <http-method>CHECKIN</http-method>
            <http-method>CHECKOUT</http-method>
            <http-method>UNCHECKOUT</http-method>
            <http-method>MKWORKSPACE</http-method>
            <http-method>UPDATE</http-method>
            <http-method>LABEL</http-method>
            <http-method>MERGE</http-method>
            <http-method>BASELINE-CONTROL</http-method>
            <http-method>MKACTIVITY</http-method>
            <http-method>ACL</http-method>
            <http-method>SEARCH</http-method>
            <http-method>BIND</http-method>
            <http-method>UNBIND</http-method>
            <http-method>REBIND</http-method>
        </web-resource-collection>
        <auth-constraint>
            <role-name>root</role-name>
            <role-name>user</role-name>
        </auth-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

XP WebFolders client issues the OPTIONS request first, it fails because
you've not been authenticated yet but for some reason I don't know the
client doesn't ask for your credentials. Either Slide doesn't return the 401
response or WebFolders don't expect it... or... or something else happens.
I haven't looked into the problem thoroughly.
I wonder if there are better solutions then the one I'm suggesting...

Yours sincerely,
Andrey.