I had this XP log on issue, whereby xp insisted on appending a hostname to the login. It only happens on certain xp clients.
In my case I was running slide on port 80 (for firewall reasons), so entering the url in the add network places wizard would be something like :
http://x.x.x.x/slide/files This resulted in the issues as described. However when i appended the port number i.e. http://x.x.x.x:80/slide/files the issue stopped. That is XPO stopped appending a host and logged in perfectly.

I'll add a cautionary note however, XP on some versions has an issue with slide running on port 80, it suffers from the infinite directory problem, where by the directory listing contains itself!!! Try explaining that one to your users.
(This issues is know and can be seen under http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/webfolder-client-list.html as file-mismatch)

You have been warned!!

PS The solution is not to use port 80 which is a royal pain and defats the object in many cases!!

PPS I am not actually running the app server on port 80 (root access!!), its being masqueraded via port 80 through the firewall

Al