1. An issue I have been unable to resolve (and is perhaps related to
your question) is that when I create a file through WebDAV, my WebDAV
client (Win XP) does not display the file with its correct content
length or modificationDate. If I force a refresh of the directory
display, I see the correct values. Any thoughts on this?

I remember I had this problem as well, when I did another store implementation. What values are displayed? Zero? Maybe MS tries to store other properties, I seem to remember something like this... I am so forgetful these days...

Here's a list of known problems with MS WebFolders: http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/webfolder-client-list.html. I'm not seeing anything like you describe, but I can say for certain that WebFolders caches a great deal on the client. It's often quite frustrating.

2. Caching - it looks like slide uses ehcache. Is it possible to
control the cache parameters? How? I find that my WebDAV client does
not consistently pick up changes to the filesystem backing the store.
That is, changes that take place directly on the filesystem.

AFAIK ehcache is only used by the JNDI store. The rest of Slide uses some custom transactional caching stuff. I understand your problem. The cache would need to know when the file system changes in order to refresh. I do not think there is a way to get this done. ehcache has an option to invalidate entries after a certain amount of time. This would ne nice for Slide's cache just as well. For now, if you really need to to pick up the changes disable global caching completely. To do this set the caching mode to "cluster" with parameter "cache-mode" in Domain.xml. The parameter must be set for the complete store like

            <store name="tx">
                <parameter name="cache-mode">cluster</parameter>

You can also override cacheResults() in AbstractServiceBase to return false (the JNDI store does this). This prevents Oliver's cache from grabbing your data. If you do this, I highly recommend you implement your own caching mechanism unless your Store is blazingly fast. Slide accesses a Store multiple times for a single retrieval, so lack of a cache can really slow things down.

As for ehcache, I believe Oliver is right. I used it for the JNDI store, but I don't think it's used anywhere else.

On idea, though. If you can pick up changes to the file system somehow you can notify the cache in ExtendedStore that the object has changed. ExtendedStore.removeObjectFromCache() method is what you'd need there.

-James