kranga wrote:
BPropfind allows you to arbitrarily specify resources that you want to do a
propfind on. If all your resources are within a folder, then you can always
vary the depth value to get all the information (and perhaps more).
Microsoft is as usual trying to hijack the standard by introducing its own
extensions (another extension is the brief: header). Given that they were a
member of the RFC, it is despicable that they would knowingly introduce junk
extensions like this. Its their typical arrogant way of working and I say
that Slide should NEVER EVER support these M$ extensions.

I find that criticism a bit hard, although I'm certainly not a fan of Microsoft.

1) Extending HTTP/WebDAV with new headers, properties and methods is fine; this is supposed to be done if you need something and there's no standard for it. (*)

2) In *this* case, the methods are indeed *documented* by Microsoft in a public place (although it seems to me that actually implementing them in a non-MS product will also require guessworking and reverse-engineering).

3) In contrast, adding extensions and *not* documenting them is an extremely bad thing; see for instance Microsoft Sharepoint's way of breaking WebDAV.

Best regards, Julian

(*) Of course this means that things should be done right; for instance, when adding new identifiers to IETF-controlled namespaces (such as method names or headers), they should be registered at least though an Informational or Experimental RFC.