On 10/26/07, Carsten Ziegeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ...If we then have a mechanism to detect a specific ScriptEngine, I could
> implement my use case by looking up the ScriptEngine I want (as I know I
> want the javascript or the jruby or whatever script engine),
> instantiating a script object, setting the script engine, setting a
> reader and then I can invoke the script engine with this....

I had something different in mind, for the use-case "find and execute
a Script which is not related to a Request".

1. Give ScriptResolver the path of the script that you want to load.
The ScriptResolver might use search paths a la unix PATH.

2. If the path doesn't include an extension, ScriptResolver tries the
extensions provided by the list of available ScriptEngines.

3. If the path includes the extension (or once 2. has selected one),
return the Script object.

4. Execute the script returned by the ScriptResolver, using
Script.getEngine.eval(XYZ)

XYZ can either be a Request/Response, or a Reader/Writer, depending on
the execution environment.

I think the main difference in my case is that the ScriptEngine
resolution happens inside the ScriptResolver, and the Script provides
you the suitable ScriptEngine.

-Bertrand