Hi all,

Prompted by Roy's remarks [1], Bertrand and I discussed whether we
should drop storing JSP classes in the repository; at least for the
moment.

Currently we have a patched Jasper 5.5 source tree in our SVN tree to be
able to write the class files (and intermediate Java and SMAP files) in
the JCR repository. Heads off, these are the advantages and
disadvantages of having the class files in the repository:

   + Inspect the transpiled Java source files through normal JCR
repository access
   + Remove (Cleanup) old classfiles through JCR repository access
   + Distribute JSP class files only from development to runtime servers
   - Slight performance overhead
   - Cannot easily upgrade to more recent Jasper versions

In order to get rid of the patched copy of Jasper 5.5, I propose to not
store JSP transpilations and compilations in the repository anymore and
fall back to using standard Jasper.

I am currently working on the JSP compiler project and will therefore
take this route for now. The patched Jasper code is not lost however and
still exists in our SVN tree inside the Sling_Component_API branche and
can be revived later.

PS: Yes, I was not successfull up to now, trying to push the changes
required to Jasper back into the Tomcat project.

[1]
http://www.mail-archive.com/sling-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00987.html