Hi David,

Am Mittwoch, den 28.11.2007, 09:47 +0100 schrieb David Nuescheler:
> Especially for larger projects, some real-life projects run
> with hundreds (if not thousands) of jsps, which used to be a huge
> overhead to compile. how much of that is better now using a different
> compiler and how much really was a jasper performance issue to begin
> with I don't really know.

The problem at that time was, that the JSPs were compiled with the
standard Javac out of process with all the well-known performance issues
like process setup and Java startup ....

Nowadays, we use the Eclipse compiler as a backend, which just rocks :-)

In fact, it might even be, that compilation is so much faster today,
that storing the classes in the repository might become a performance
issue. Will have to do some measurments on this, though.

> I am scared of everything that we don't put into the repository considering
> clustering and backup/restore issues.
> I recall that we basically went to hell and back for everything that we did
> not put into the repository, so please be very careful with that.
> Now for certain intermediary files that may not be an issue, I just would
> like to be very, very careful.

Java source and class files are intermediary artifacts, so there is no
problem with backup/restore (the source is what counts). Creating them
is a matter of very short time.

> I think we are looking for an additional abstraction when it comes
> to the place where we store the resulting servlet source, right?

Yes, and the class files.

> Well, let's see if we can come up with a good patch that is convincing
> and non-intrusive to allow our abstraction into Jasper.

Lets see, what the make of the bug, I reported.

> .ps: Is it correct that we don't have an issue actually compiling the
> classes into the repository (and also classload them from the repository),
> our issue would the transpilation to the servlet java source, right?
> (or did Jasper
> remove that intermediary step while I was asleep for a bunch of years  ;))

No, Jasper generates three files: The Java source, the Java class and
the SMAP file. These files are all written to the filesystem. A generic
abstraction is required to be able to store these files (and there
filesystem hierarchy) in the repository.

On the other hand, loading the class files from the repository is not an
issue as we have the Repository Classloader.