I think this would be a suitable solution for our use case and if there are
other places (like test environments) where is can be used it is probably
better to invest in such an approach instead of blowing up Slings code base
with special case implementations.

What do you think would be the best setup approach for such a mock? The
current SlingHttpRequest implementation requires an instance of RequestData
which in turn has a reference to the SlingMainServlet. AFAIK I can not
access the SlingMainServlet from an OSGI service thread.

BTW,  the Spring framework has already implemented a MockHttpRequest which
can be used (or extended or copied in case the dependency to Spring is not
wanted) for initializing a MockSlingHttpRequest.

Regards,
Alex