Hi,

Alexander Klimetschek schrieb:
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I'm wondering what we really want to achieve here and if it is worth the
>> effort?
>> For production systems this is imho more a non-issue, as you usually
>> don't update directly a productive machine.
>>
>> For development you know that you updated a bundle and shouldn't send
>> new requests during the update. Now, the problem is perhaps, that in
>> some cases the update itself takes longer. This could be because of
>> inefficient bundling, too many references etc.
>
> Yes, as I've written in my PS, another solution would be a good
> indicator of when the bundle update is done. In my case I use the
> sling:install maven plugin goal, which does not wait for the bundle
> update to be finished. So I can either look at the sling log and try
> to separate normal messages from bundle install/start entries or look
> at the cpu usage of my computer and wait for it to drop again. Both
> are rather "fuzzy" ;-)

What you are looking for are messages of the form "BUNDLE STARTED"
(which comes after "BUNDLE UPDATED") or "FrameworkEvent PACKAGES
REFRESHED", which comes at the end of the installation/update.

> No, what about letting the sling-install http request wait until the
> update is finished? Or an improved felix web console that shows
> current installs separately and updates in real-time (via ajax)?

The maven sling plugin uses the same functionality as the web console to
install or update a bundle. And the web console performs the actual
installation or update in the background - mainly to prevent the console
from blocking.

Now, theoretically, the asynchronous update would only be required for
the web console bundle itself, but it turned out that it is better to
generally run these operations asynchronously.

So, I am constantly thinking of a way to provide feedback from the
asynchronous thread to the console (or the plugin) about the outcome and
state of the update (termination with success or failure). I have not
found a solution yet ...