hi guys,

i don't have an opinion on the organization of code, so cleaning things
up is always good.

what i would strongly caution though is fostering the divergence between
the resource tree and the node tree.

since there are good tools to browse, search and manage the node tree
this is really one of the main advantages that sling brings to the table
opposed to many of the other web frameworks. the url mapping to content
nodes is simple and straight forward similar to the fs mapping in a static
webserver.

this transparency is taken away when we have a resource tree that diverges
from the node tree. or in a simple example: to find out what happens
when a request goes to /bin/... is almost impossible and going through
all the configurations of all the bundles and the respective sling.servlet.paths
to find out what's going on in the system is definitely not efficient.

starting to expose services like access control on the resource tree is
something that i find dangerous and problematic. access control should
really be enforced at the data (jcr) layer and slowly copying the entire jcr
api into a proprietary resource api with the same feature set seriously
is the wrong path.
i would really like to get rid of the duality of these two api's that
essentially
will do the same same thing in the long run.

just my two cents,

regards,
david

--