On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:57:10 -0800 Indigo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I never did have any problems with udev, just thought it could be the > cause of the xorg problems, as it's now a dependency since xorg 1.8... > was following this thought, troubleshooting: > https://wiki.kubuntu.org/X/InputConfiguration -- and it seemed > plausible. For my own situation, it may be related to virtualbox > having it's own video card emulation that is VESA compliant, but needs > guest additions to handle anything more... but that being said, vbox > doesn't have a problem with higher resolutions until slim takes over. > Also, this is a common issue I see on IRC. Having thoroughly read the > tazx script, I tried 'Xorg -config :1' just to read the file > generated, and something is definitely wrong. I will look at the > dependencies you suggested and let you know, tomorrow. Hi Indigo, We spend some time when I updated Xorg to make intel driver work out-of-the-box; I know it's not perfect on all hardware, but if my memory is good it was okay for you after enabling intel KMS in Linux kernel. Here you are using virtualbox, and I think there's no problem, just normal virtualbox guest behavior, as manual explain : http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ As you know, virtualbox emulate the hardware when you run something in it. It includes graphic card : InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphic Adapter. So, there's no chance that Xorg autodetect an Intel graphic card, or make run it in any way. "Graphics. The VirtualBox graphics device (sometimes referred to as VGA device) is, unlike nearly all other emulated devices, not based on any physical counterpart. It is a simple, synthetic device which provides compatibility with standard VGA and several extended registers used by the VESA BIOS Extensions (VBE)." Source: http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#guestossupport Tests I did show me that only 800*600 and 600*480 resolutions are available with virtualbox-ose running classical SliTaz liveCD & VESA driver : it's what says xorg xrandr. The driver which can handle better resolutions is included in the guest additions. Now, there's an option in VirtualBox-ose machine configuration : enable host 3D acceleration capabilities. It means that you have to install intel driver & related mesa in host to make it works : VirtualBox can't use hardware functionnalities if have no software in your system to make it know how to use them (i.e.: linux kernel modules). It also require specific driver in hosted system, as well as a specific dri module : both host and hosted system have to know how handle 3D rendering. Theses tools are in guest additions. That's said, with this option I can get direct rendering without problems on VirtualBoxed SliTaz using vesa & rasterized and host and having direct rendering enabled on hosted. This is the fallback dri and it's not optimized at all. Note: I don't know if information about 3D acceleration related information interest you but it's related to the subject as it shows how host and hosted system are related and how virtualized hardware is different than real hardware. So, the general conclusion is : you need software to use your hardware on host, and software to use emulated hardware on hosted system to make it works. > As for the udev issue, setting loglevel="err" (or "debug" for even > more), it appears there definitely is a reason it's failing on boot... > it's just that the process respawns, so it's not a big deal in the > end. If it's not causing any problems, the status message wouldn't > need to be supressed - we could just fake it, make it say 'success' no > matter what. When problems happens - and they always happens - having both error messages and real status is helpful. No real suggestion follow this consideration, as I don't know what's really going on here, but please don't forget that when you redirect error messages to /dev/null or fake status. > Thank you for your quick response - I'll be back at this in the morning. > Hope this help. -- GoKhlaYeh <[email protected]> --- SliTaz GNU/Linux Mailing list - http://www.slitaz.org/

