I am dismayed to announce that we will not be getting free hosting at OSUOSL. I went there yesterday, after making arrangements with the guy in charge... and I was given a brief tour. The way his sytem is setup is to offer VMs of up to 2gigs memory, and 30gigs drive space... I told him exactly what we are looking for, explained the situation with FSF, and he said vary flatly, "Not gonna happen" -- I have no idea why they couldn't be bothered to reply to our request. There is still an open ticket on it, but it has been 5 weeks. Overall, I was disappointed with both the guy in charge and the lab. Since he's a Gentoo fanatic, they do have an entire rack dedicated to that distro. But for the most part, the Open Source Lab doesn't have much interest in the open source community. Apache is hosted there, and everything under them. And they host a few other major projects, but their support for most projects is minimal. He is not generally interested in linux, and when I told him about how Slitaz has a large following in France, he simply said, "yeah, we don't really do anything with Europe" -- It amazes me that this guy managed to get his degree in computers and does not consider the internet to be global. OSUOSL is funded with millions of dollars from Google, and that's all it is - a Google data center. While trying to find the place, I asked no less than 20 students if they knew where the Open Source Lab was, and no one had even heard of it. One guy said, "is it in the library?" -- and during the tour, I pointed to an amazingly sleek looking piece of equipment and asked what it was. And this guy who's in charge of OSUOSL actually said, "I don't know - It's probably a Google Search appliance." It seems to me, Google's supposed support for open source projects is only inasmuch as it serves them. Perhaps they have not responded to our request in hopes that we will not find hosting elsewhere... but that's exactly what we need to do. I wish I had better news.
--- SliTaz GNU/Linux Mailing list - http://www.slitaz.org/

