The main reason for tazwok was the depends check. With nearly 3000 packages
> its better for tazwok to know what is needed if its not in build depends.
> This allowed receipts to be more in line with archlinux PKGBUILDs. The
> makedepends is only used when needed. In slitaz BUILD_DEPENDS is used for
> almost every package cause it doesn't detect.
>
> Just my 2 cents on this.
>
>
>
This is a great feature. I guess we will now have a great build app.


> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:11 PM, Christophe Lincoln <[email protected]>wrote:
>
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> He is a small resume of the situation and why I'm working on cookutils
>> and not just make 4.0
>>
>>    * From end of last year wok was fozen but update never stops
>>    * When I was in holiday in december/janury some people decided to
>>      use an experimental tools as main build tools, it broke a lot of
>>      things and delayed to release cycle.
>>    * Tank was crashing a lot and then FSF said they cant' handle the
>>      load so we had to find and put in place a new server (Thank again
>>      to Thomas, the box work like a charm) and this delayed again the
>>      release cycle.
>>    * When I realize that and realize the huge and incredibale work
>>      done on Tazwok in the same time, I thought "ok we cant revert that
>>      we must give this tazwok-exerimental it chance"
>>    * It's what we done and we used new Tazwok on Tank, but 3 month
>>      later new tazwok was still not running as a build bot and is
>>      difficult to maintain on Tank for me and other tank maintainers.
>>    * Worse, with last cooking we got a lot of kernel panic, this is
>>      very bad. With help on the forum we found that thes kernel panics
>>      was caused by a change in kernel processor type.
>>    * To fix this kernel issue I changed linux config, but then API
>>      change and a lot of packages must be rebuild (that normal and I
>>      was ready to rebuild them) so I wanted to rebuild toolchain on
>>      tank with tazwok and it fails 3 times. This was to much and the
>>      first reason to start new cookutils.
>>    * I all this time I got private mail and read here on the list
>>      complain about new tazwok to difficult to use and improve if you
>>      not a guru: second reason to code cookutils.
>>    * Finaly, we want a build bot working on tank before 4.0, because
>>      we want a build bot for stable and cooking, this let us send
>>      upgrade to stable easily and got packages builded automaticaly.
>>
>> The goal is not the release for release but to release a stable
>> version, so we will release when ready. I think it's not a problem
>> since SliTaz have 5 years now and we NEEDED huge change is build system
>> because they was wrote when slitaz had 300-400 packages but handling
>> nearly 3000 package is an other story.
>>
>> Now we need help to test cookutils and in a few times (say 10 days) we
>> will need packages testing. I also think Godane would apreciate help on
>> Tazwok since Gokhaley a less time to debug it now and also would
>> apreciate help on test slitaz source DVD.
>>
>> Hope it's help to clarify the situation,
>> - Christophe
>>
>> ---
>> SliTaz GNU/Linux Mailing list - http://www.slitaz.org/
>>
>>
>

Reply via email to