thanks for the info Paul...

Paul Haddon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 02:31:54PM +1100, Dave Fitch wrote:
> > Next question is regarding those Centralion "backup power
> > supplies" Jaycar sell.  They're cheaper at $399 for the 800VA
> > model (what does VA mean anyway?) 
> 
> Volt-Amps
> 
> I'm sure someone who actually knows what they're talking about 
> will correct me, but my rule of thumb is
> 
> Watts / Volts = Amps

yep I remembered that bit from physics, P=V*A
but what does "Volt-Amps" really mean?  it should be
the same as power (watts) shouldn't it?
ok ignore that, just got the reply from DavidZ, so it
is the same then.

> So for a 250W power supply, its maximum draw is near as dammit to
> 1Amp.
> 
> The problem with all this is that the power comes in Volts, the
> back of PCs shows Watts, and the UPSs are sold in Volt-Amps (VA Ratings)
> So for mere mortals, working out which one to buy is always a
> fun task ;)
> 
> Another factor is that you've got startup spikes in the power
> consumption. So turning all of your gear on at the one time might
> not work, whereas if you turn them on one at a time it operates 
> correctly.

should be ok, these will all be on all the time.  I guess
the only thing turning on/off will be the monitor going
in/out of power-saving mode.

> Keep in mind its always better to under-utilise a UPS than
> to load it up to the maximum.

yep (like anything), problem is I don't want to waste
money on capacity that's not really needed.  This is
just my home system, not "mission critical" or anything.

[useful info snipped, thanks!]

> > There's also the question of automatic shutdown, support in
> > linux and solaris unknown (by me at least!).  It just says
> > it's supplied with software for DOS, and lose-3.1/95/98.
> 
> Sola are associated with Best Power (www.bestpower.com) who have
> software for Unix on their site.

yep but I was referring to the Jaycar Centralion ones in
that paragraph above.

> > And lastly, do these type of UPSs do phone line protection too?
> > (to reduce the chance of my modem, cordless phone etc dying)
> 
> Some do. The better units won't. They leave that stuff to the 
> throw-away market.
> 
> To work out how much power to budget for, try going to the various
> USP maker web pages. I know that APC has a power calculator up, 
> and I think most other UPS makers do as well.

yep I went through the Sola one (www.solaaust.com.au) and it
reckoned I needed the 520-1425 model which is $1200-$1500,
and there's no chance at all of me spending that much.
So I was hoping the manufacturers "calculator" things were
rather biased on the "under utilised" side.

Dave.
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to