"Andrew Reilly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 02:55:26PM +0000, Brian Martin wrote:
> > Can't see the full "Acceptable use policy" as you say,
> > but part of it bans running a server, (as does Bigpond Cable) ...
optus haven't yet (to my knowledge) published their
"Acceptable use policy", it's the "FAQ" that bans running
a "server"
> No, BPA (cable) does _not_ ban running a server, and many users
> do. I've run several of my own ever since I've been connected.
> This _is_ Unix, isn't it? It lives to run servers...
>
> > <<quote>>
> > Can I operate a server from my home computer?
> >
> > No. The Optus @Home service is for residential, casual use only and does not
> > support or allow servers of any kind from the home.
>
> Single biggest reason that I'm not currently considering
> switching to @Home, in spite of the recent price changes at BPA.
I agree (but am not a telstra cable user), really so far the optus
one makes the telstra one look kinda ok (even with the new pricing
regime at telstra).
I'd like to read all the fine print from optus first, but if the
conditions of use allow them to do things like block ports to
prevent people running things like web servers, then even with
"unlimited" (sic) - subject to "acceptable use policy" - downloads
I don't think it's worth it. Part of the benefit of a permanent
internet connection is the ability to run your own web/ftp/etc server.
Dave.
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text