Hi Stuart,

> if a user types domainname.com.au into a browser instead of
> www.domainname.com.au, is there a way to configure dns to send a
> request to http://www.domainname.com.au 

The best way (IMHO) is to configure your web server to redirect all
requests to http://domain.com -> http://www.domain.com.

This way the www.domainname.com.au address will appear in the browser
location bar and search engines will only index the one site. I used to
do it with a ServerAlias in Apache but then each page would be indexed
twice by search bots.

DNS isn't really the place for this.

The way I do it (Apache):
in httpd.conf:
    <VirtualHost 10.0.0.1>
        ServerName domainname.com.au
        Redirect / http://www.domainname.com.au/
    </VirtualHost>

I'm sure there are funkier ways to do it using mod_rewrite so it's
automatic for all your sites if you wanted that.

Hope That Helps.
Chuck
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to