I dunno if this is the best way to do it :-) but I use CNAME (canonical
names) resource records.  As I am aware this is better than using PTR
records, although I can't ford the life of my remember why (need to read
through my DNS & Bind book to recall that).  Anyway, this is how the
relevant records look in my resource file (names and ips changed to
protect the innocent :-)):

; Machines
quartz                  IN      A       203.11.11.11
mydomainname.org.       IN      A       203.11.11.11

; Aliases
ftp             CNAME   quartz
www             CNAME   quartz

Cheers,
Kieran


On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Stuart Hume wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> 
> I am not sure how to ask this but here goes,
> 
> if a user types domainname.com.au into a browser instead of www.domainname.com.au, 
>is there a way to configure
> dns to send a request to http://www.domainname.com.au 
> 
> I am having problems working out where to start
> TIA
> Stuart
> 

--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to