Hello there Sluggers (is this the accepted term?)

As you may have guessed I am both a newbie to Linux and this list (about 1 hr of 
lurking), and I am searching for some tips.

I've very recently installed RH Linux on a cyrix686 133 with 32 MB ram.  I did a 
normal Gnome workstation install to get started with, and 80Mb swap. It's only use is 
as a home PC.

The problem is that something seems to be hogging my memory.  If I inspect 
/proc/meminfo straight after log-in I get about 3Mb free, i.e 28MB in use.
It's not X 'cause I am running command line as the default run level at the moment

PS lists a whole heap of kernel daemons and apmd, lpd, identd, xfs, cron and a few 
others (mingetty's etc), but none of these take more than 2.5% of memory(is that RAM 
or RAM+swap?).  I know the kernel daemons hide their memory usage so how do I go about 
finding the culprit(s).  I've cold booted, so it can't be Windows not letting memory 
go.
The only other thing is that my soundcard is having trouble configuring, i/o problems 
trying to write to an open device?? Could that cause the problems? 

Or is it a case of the kernel being too general (I don't need pcmcia or scsi support 
etc) ?
I haven't attempted to recompile the kernel yet because I used one of those PC World 
CDs, and it doesn't include the source, and I don't look forward to having to download 
a recent kernel!


A million thanks for any answers to my million questions.


Steve

<==============================================>
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a 
lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. 
- Douglas Adams  [ Source: http://coolsig.com/ ]


--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to