On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Steven downing wrote:

> I've very recently installed RH Linux on a cyrix686 133 with 32 MB ram.  I 
> did a normal Gnome workstation install to get started with, and 80Mb
> swap. It's only use is as a home PC.
> 
> The problem is that something seems to be hogging my memory.  If I inspect 
> /proc/meminfo straight after log-in I get about 3Mb free, i.e 28MB in
> use.

This is quite normal. Here's the stats from the box I'm on now {not mine}

cat /proc/meminfo
        total:    used:    free:   shared:   buffers:  cached:
Mem:  264105984 258236416  5869568 191336448 21643264 104157184
Swap: 131600384 12898304 118702080
MemTotal:    257916 kB
MemFree:       5732 kB
MemShared:   186852 kB
Buffers:      21136 kB
Cached:      101716 kB
SwapTotal:   128516 kB
SwapFree:    115920 kB

As you can see - 5 meg of free RAM - but of the physical RAM, more than
half is cache, and 200 meg out of 256 is buffers.

Try typing "top", and getting a better output. You should get something
like this {along with a list of running processes}

 11:55am  up 26 days,  7:36, 62 users,  load average: 0.30, 0.18, 0.11
272 processes: 267 sleeping, 2 running, 0 zombie, 3 stopped
CPU states:  3.7% user,  5.6% system,  0.1% nice, 90.4% idle
Mem:  257916K av, 248344K used,   9572K free, 192068K shrd,  20700K buff
Swap: 128516K av,  12596K used, 115920K free                 96052K cached     

As you can see - this machine is using the majority of its memory for
either caching, or shared memory.

I wouldn't panic about it - an indicator of when your physical RAM is
being overutilised is by looking at how much SWAP you use - if you
regularly use 40 meg of SWAP, then you need more RAM - badly. But if you
only ever use a couple of K, your physical RAM is not too badly off.

DaZZa

--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to