Hi there

I will describe the machine in detail first.

It's a Gateway server - 7210

It's basically a dual cpu capable machine

it's based on the 440 GX + chipset

it only has 1 cpu in it currently a PIII 600

It has onboard everything but the main problem is the scsi

It is a Adaptec 7896 dual channel controller.

Anyway to the fun part. (or lack of)

any kernel I have tried so far from 2.0 to 2.2.16 with latest aic7xxx
driver either as a module or just compiled right in.

It basically locks up like this (this is another adaptor just replace the
wording) (I have typed it correct as it appears)

(scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7896/7 Ultra2 SCSI host adaptor> found at PCI 0/12/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel A, SCSI ID=7, 32/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 374 instructions downloaded

That's it it's frozen at that point and won't go any further

I have had it working on ide disks and that worked fine.

The latest aic7xxx driver I tried was 5.1.31 from the person maintainig
the driver itself.

Jeffrey Borg