I think I'll try your idea because the problem doesn't make sense to me
either. It's been a few years since I've compiled a kernel but I don't
recall having silly problems like this.

I'd provide the complete error but it's on a none networked machine.
Firstly
it complains there is no /usr/local/lib then dialog.h says it can't
find sys/types/h and half a dozen others.

Why would a kernel compile look anywhere else but it's own source tree?
I'm
no developer so I if someone knows why that would be......

Cheers,
      Craige