> Michael Lake wrote:
> > Craige McWhirter wrote:
> >
> > I've got them on one Debian system but not another. One was a
> > clean Potato install, the other an upgrade from Slink to Potato.
>
> Ah the replies to this will provide some info between how
> Debian and RH packages can answer this question.

lazarus: ~
$ dpkg -S /usr/include/fcntl.h
libc6-dev: /usr/include/fcntl.h

lazarus: ~
$ dpkg -S /usr/include/sys/fcntl.h
libc6-dev: /usr/include/sys/fcntl.h

lazarus: ~
$ dpkg -S /usr/include/bits/fcntl.h
libc6-dev: /usr/include/bits/fcntl.h

lazarus: ~
$ dpkg -S /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/asm-i386/fcntl.h
dpkg: /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/asm-i386/fcntl.h not found.

which really means, "2.2.14 kernel? You're kidding, right?" :D I'm a
compulsive kernel tester, so I don't use kernel packages. Check my
X-Operating-System header. :)

Actually, what it really means is that Debian doesn't package kernels and
kernel sources quite like RedHat. There's a whole other system that I
haven't aquainted myself with... I always use the tar.bz2's anyway.

Herbert, Anand or Gus will be able to fill you in on Debian's ruthless
kernel package policies, and the utilities that go with them.

> > Craige again:
> >
> > I've not been able to figure out which package supplies me with
> > those files. If anyone can shed some light on that for me, or even
> > better let me know how I can use dpkg tools to find out which package
> > provided a particular file, that'd be great.

As you saw above, dpkg -S. The output of dpkg --help is pretty good. Long,
but good.

- Jeff

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------------------------- http://linux.conf.au/ --

        Ye shall be cursed to fall in love so easily, and yet be so
         cold of heart as never to have the passion to express it.