>Does anybody know exactly what happens if you plug a computer with a power
>supply set to 115 V into an Australian power outlet? I ask because a

You blow the fuse or worse.

>get it going. This looks to me like the power supply in the original
>machine has been fried. Anybody have any thoughts on what's happened

Sure looks like it.

>here? Any chance of resurrecting the thing? (To bring it somewhat back on

It might be just the fuse in the power supply, or it might have taken
out the rectifiers as well. There is a reason those things are boxed, to
keep out people with suicidal tendencies. If you are still keen, there
is a power supply repair FAQ somewhere on the Net.  If you have a
compatible power supply from another case, just plonk that one in.