> Does anybody know exactly what happens if you plug a computer with a power
> supply set to 115 V into an Australian power outlet?

Yes there is a ruddy great blue flash and a hell of a loud pop and somke
comes out of the computer. Now I don't know if you now anything about
electrical devices but once the smoke escapes from them they never work
ever again, (even if you try and collect all the smoke and put it back
in you invariably miss a bit and that's enough to stop the machine working ;-).

How do I know all this? weelll..... Once upon a time there was this darn
computer that wouldn't turn on seemed to be dead, so I crawled under the
desk and in the semi-dark found the switch at the back next to the power
supply and having just set up another computer where said switch was an
on/ off button.... the subsequent blue flash and loud bang gave me a hell
of a scare.

Anyway, after replacing the power supply the machine came good with no
problems and is still running today.

P.