Folks,

My father has a small business network with about 12-15 users and a dial-on-demand
internet connection running from a Linux box to his local ISP.

What he would like to try and do is require PC users wanting to use the web to have to
authenticate before they can access any external webpages.  This is because he only
wants a select number of staff to have web access as it is expensive and uses
bandwidth.

Now, the first thing someone is going to say is "why don't you block the ip addresses
of the un-authorised users' PCs" - well the staff do a lot of hot-desk work where they
will not be using the same PC every day.  Also, in other areas, 5 or 6 people use the
same PC.

My question is - can this be done with squid (and transparently) and does anyone have
an example config that I can take a look at and try to build my own.

I've seen commercial products that do this - but I would prefer a Linux solution.

Thanks
Matt