http://www.fire.wolfsburg.de/proj/dynacc/

that may help. Was kinda along the lines of what i happened to be looking
for the moment you email came it.
Sorta suits you better then me tho.

from that page:
Dynacc aims to be a Pakage which gives you control other your Internet
Connection. It runs a linux router/host which provides MASQ services and
HTTP proxying for a LAN. It gives you the Power to define users/groups which
are allowed to make internet connections. Dynacc makes Firewall/MASQ ACCEPT
rules for them, and tells Squid to do HTTP-caching for them.

The Pakage switches the connection on when the first user logged in and
turns it off when the last logged out!

Dynacc comes with a fast SQUID-redirector plugin which offers firewall
authentication and fast redirect routines. As a PLUS it removes this borring
Advertisement-Banners!

Scripts to add/delete or calculate Onlinetime for one user or a bunch users
the same time come also with this pakage.

The Pakage is designed for use at Schools, firms, Internetcafes or your
home.

depends
ipchains
any webserver able to do cgi/1.0
Only supports SuSE 'firewall' Scripts, yet!Contribute!

So you ight have to customise it to run on your distro... or use suse :/

gl

dave