From: Matt Hyne [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 1:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [SLUG] Q: Using SQUID to authenticate internet users ?

Folks,

My father has a small business network with about 12-15 users and a
dial-on-demand internet connection running from a Linux box to his local
ISP.

What he would like to try and do is require PC users wanting to use the web
to have to authenticate before they can access any external webpages.  This
is because he only wants a select number of staff to have web access as it
is expensive and uses bandwidth.

Now, the first thing someone is going to say is "why don't you block the ip
addresses of the un-authorised users' PCs" - well the staff do a lot of
hot-desk work where they will not be using the same PC every day.  Also, in
other areas, 5 or 6 people use the same PC.

My question is - can this be done with squid (and transparently) and does
anyone have an example config that I can take a look at and try to build my
own.

I've seen commercial products that do this - but I would prefer a Linux
solution.

Thanks
Matt