On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Alister Waller wrote:

> Can I ask why people use non-html enabled mail clients?? What is the benefit
> of this? Is this a linux geeky type thing??

It's commonly known as "lowest common denominator".

In other words, you distribute in the format that you're guaranteed your
LEAST capable interface can deal with.

> Seems strange when you look at what computers are capable of that a minority
> (I am taking a stab in the virtual darkness) still insist on using a text
> based mail reader. You mention bandwith, I am sure a lot of you download
> pictures and Mpeg 3's etc which hog a lot more of that than a few extra
> lines of text in an email.

This is a LINUX list. Believe it or not, Linux is still a text based
system - X11 is an add on, not part of the Linux core.

As for bandwidth - my mail is remote to my location - I telnet into a mail
server to read/reply to it - doing this with a GUI browser would be next
to impossible - sepecially over the 9600 BPS lines I'm forced to
occasionally use.

And yes - some of us DO you text based browsers - because it's simplier,
there's less risk of some form of bloody trojan being inserted in a visual
basic attachment, and it doesn't need the MASSIVE system overhead a GUI
based mail/news reader does.

My total bandwidth download in a month rarely exceeds 20 or 30 meg -
because I don't download pictures or MP3's or crap like HTML mail. The
only time it does is when I download something like a new kernel release,
or other large chunks of source code.

Please leave your WindoZe based attitudes at the door when entering.

DaZZa