Alister Waller wrote:

...snip...

> Can I ask why people use non-html enabled mail clients??

The real answer is why not? They still work and work well.
My pet hate is the arms race that people are forced into with linux.

>What is the benefit of this?

Faster, less storage, simple, easier, less error prone, no trojans, etc,
etc
Less hardware requirements. You don't need a gui, you don't need X,
which again leaves you with a faster, more reliable machine. Netscape
crashes frequently, X/? occassionally locks up, but linux has never
locked/crashed.

> Is this a linux geeky type thing??

No, definitely not.

> Seems strange when you look at what computers are capable of that a minority
> (I am taking a stab in the virtual darkness) still insist on using a text
> based mail reader. You mention bandwith, I am sure a lot of you download
> pictures and Mpeg 3's etc which hog a lot more of that than a few extra
> lines of text in an email.

The MAJORITY of people are still on dial up lines with 33.6K modem and
so they suffer badly from that little bit of extra data. That extra data
actually COSTS people money as quite a few people are on timed access,
both ISP and STD calls.

We try to follow consensus here, not the democratic principle which is
dictation by the majority.

Essentially, there is no perceived benefit to everyone from allowing
html. I'd much rather have rejection of html posts before closing the
list to subscribers only.

   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  www: http://www.woa.com.au
       or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   snail:  PO Box 1047, Campbelltown, NSW 2560.