<snip>

> Personally I believe that Linux has to be a LOT more user friendly before
> desktop apps are going to be a serious issue.
>
> I am a lot more savvy than the average user, and I find myself constantly
> struggling with configs and installs.

I fear this more than anything is the biggest hurdle for Linux to get over.
Some of the problem being that the "gurus" who program the apps often have
trouble viewing things from a newbie point of view. All one need do is look
at the README's for a number of useful programs. They are obviously written
by progarmmers who know the ins and outs of the system. They can be very
daunting to a new user. And to learn about these things the process is
seemingly never-ending.

> My OS's of choice are Mac (desktop) and linux (server). I would love to
> use linux as a desktop but I just DON"T have the expertise or the time to
> aquire it.

This is another good point. Most people work and don't WANT to spend all
their free time trying to get their computer to work the way they want it
(I'm talking mainstream here not us geeks etc..) They want simplicity, and
Linux has partially achieved that. The installs are sensational ultimately
configurable if you wish yet able to but done quickly and simply to. And the
auto-detection and automation etc.. is great. Right up there with Billy's
Products.

As I've said before (and what actually led to the first of our other FESTS I
believe, a fact of which I'm very proud lol :-))
http://www.woa.com.au/lists/slug/1998/199808/msg00388.html

The main question Linux needs to deal with is "WHAT NOW"  right after
install when it's done and you have a brand new freshly installed Linux
system sitting there reading to do your bidding. This is where most users
fall down. To them they need to then spend the next week reading howto's or
online doco to find out what the hell is the Linux equivalent of Forte Agent
or how they can paste Gillian Anderson's head on Amanda Vanstone's body or
whatever it is ppl want to do. In today's "want it now... get it now" world
people won't wait that long.

> You guys on this list seem to forget how expert you are. I find it
> intimidating to even ask questions here cos I feel dumb.

yeah I'd echo those sentiments to a certain extent. You guys are great at
coming up with solutions and solving problems people are having but
sometimes things get a bit too condescending and superior maybe without you
even noticing it. And while many are fine and realise the realities of life,
I'd say there are still a few too many who think there is no possible reason
on Earth a person might use an MS product. Face it with 80% (or more) of the
market they are hard to avoid (take this email as an example :-)). And it
comes back to paying for the food and ADSL (not nessecarily in that order)

> When distribs are available that are as brain dead to install as a Mac,
> apps will follow like night follows day. It'll be interesting to see how
> MacOSX stands up to scrutiny. Best of both worlds?

Here I'd have to disagree slightly. It's not the install that matters it's
what happens after it. I could get my father who's basically computer
illiterate to install some of the Linux distro's now but after that he'd be
totally lost up to the point of not nessecarily knowing what to do at the
login prompt..

Configuration, Customization, and maybe even the occasional brain dead app
(Outlook Express anyone? :-))  they are what gets the numbers and when you
have the numbers you have the power. Just ask Bill.

Dan.