Terry Collins wrote:

> SIGs do not split Slug. They are a method of catering for diverse
> interests without forcing everything else onto everyone.

agreed.

<snip>

> The best people to help newbies/beginners are other newbies/beginners

The "visually impaired" leading the blind????
Maybe an unfair comment, but as I do not fully understand Linux, I
could be considered one of the "severley visually impaired". I
wonder just how much help I could get from others in my position
who may be struggling with the same concepts.
Surely it is wiser in the long run to have newbies set on the best
path rather than have bad habits and myths become entrenched.

>Very few experienced people are good at doing this. Too many things are just second
>nature and they
>can get pissed off coming down to newbie speed.

This may be the case for some - I hope they are never given an
assistant they have to train - but it is just this type of
attitude that has convinced me to leave Debian to the hackers.
During the many months I was trying to come to terms with Debian,
whenever I had a problem I was told to RTFM (even though I usually
had and did not find the solutions there). Thank heavens SuSE
users are not so elitest.

SIGs are a useful and fertile development within any club, just
lets not let them become too exclusive.

Sorry about the rant, Terry, but I have seen clubs lose members by
refusing to assist newbies and developing the attitude of: "Let
the newbies help themselves and each other and not bother us
gods/gurus/experts as we are too far above them to bother with
their petty hassles."

Stay well and happy
Heracles