Bill Bennett wrote:
> When I changed to Linux, I was in the process of teaching myself
> a computer language, viz., QBasic---which is, unfortunately, etc.
> Has anybody had any experience with a Linux analogue?
> Someone suggested Chipmunk, but I thought I'd ask about.

I am not familiar with chipmunk but I would suggest that as you appear to be starting
out pick a language that is modern in design, that is going to be useful to you, and
that has lots of pre-written code or modules that you can download and use. Something
that is well
supported.

One of the great benefits of open source is that when you need a bit of code to do
something, whether its encryption, parsing, graphics or cgi access, you can go to an
archive site and download a well-tested, well-written implementation. This is
available for languages
such as Python, Perl, C and many others. I don't think you will find this to te same
extent with any form of Basic. For instance, have a look at the Compehensive Perl
Archive Network at www.cpan.org Now I'm not suggesting that Perl is what you might
start to learn but
just as an example of the VAST amount of modules that are available. Similar sites are
avialable for Python.

Also consider picking a language that has implementations for M$ Windows as well. That
way what you write on your Linux system can be compiled (or interprerted and run) on
Windows as well.

I'd suggest looking at Python. I'm learning it at the moment too. There are lots of
good books on it available.

Mike
Michael Lake
University of Technology, Sydney
Email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02 9514 1628
Linux enthusiast, active caver and interested in anything technical.